Friday, April 8, 2011

"Reasonably Articulate" - My First Podcasted Speech - April 7, 2011



The above left-handed compliment, one of my personal favourites, was handed to me by the speechwriter for the Liberal candidate in my riding.  Edmonton East is a Conservative stronghold, with almost no chance of anyone else winning, and the first time Liberal candidate still merits a speechwriter!  What kind of resources does that party have, anyway?  I refuse to be envious of that kind of flagrant squandering...  He even had pocket cards!  I on the other hand know Vision Green and my topics so well that my oration was genuine and authentic, with no notes or prepared speech.  It shows a bit, in that I only had a cup of coffee in me, so I wandered a little...  I'm no Elizabeth, after all, but I get by...

So I was torn for the title for the post. My other idea was my internal response to the discovery of the very existence of speechwriters for local candidates in other Parties. "Speechwriters?! We don' need no stinkin' speechwriters!" 'Course, I hear it in Dr. Johnny Fever's voice, so it's funnier...

I hope I was able to inspire a few of the students to vote and maybe do more to empower themselves in their democracy.  I was told that I was really the only one most ppl could hear, even up on the second floor.  A few asked me for buttons, at least one volunteer contact, and one of the young women organizing the event wanted her picture with me!  I felt like such a rock star...  I warned her to take it down from her FB page if she wanted to go to another Party's rally, you know, just in case...

The other candidates did just fine.  With their notes and prepared speeches...  Heh.

PODCAST:  Concordia Speech 2011

Heard first: Shafik Ruda

My first candidate forum of this election, put together by the Student UN of Concordia University.  Participants included myself, Shafik Ruda, first time Liberal Party candidate for Edmonton East, and ARTEM MEDVEDEV , NDP candidate for Edmonton Leduc.  Self-confessed Conservative, Student UN President Brock can be heard butchering my name right at the beginning, though he did fine with the others.  Not suggesting any Freudian slips or anything... Due to his shaking, I'm going to assume that he was just a bit nervous.  Would have accepted an apology, though...
 
The Conservatives didn't even deign to send a representative.  As is usual for my riding. 

2 comments:

  1. It was nice to meet you, Trey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delight to meet you as well!

    I hope everything is going smoothly on your campaign trail, and I look forward to working with you again in the very near future!

    ReplyDelete